Netflix’s On My Block is an American teen comedy-drama TV series conceived by Lauren Iungerich along with Eddie Gonzalez, and Jeremy Haft which premiered on March 16, 2018. The series has so far produced four seasons in total.
It’s executive producers are Jamie Dooner alongside series co-creators Iungerich, Gonzales, and Haft while its producers are Robert Sudduth, Hal Olofsson, Arlyn Richardson, David Berke, Sonia Kharkar, and
The show features Jason Genao, Diego Tinoco, Sierra Capri, Brett Gray, and Jessica Marie Garcia. The series’s mixed cast, storylines, and executions were applauded by the audience and critics alike. Despite the popularity of the show, the series was greenlit for the fourth and final installment on March 11, 2020, which was launched on October 4, 2021, with a total of ten episodes. Let’s find out whether or not Netflix will bring back the series for a fifth installment.
Will there be a season 5 of On My Block?
Unfortunately, no. Netflix announced on January 29, 2021, that the fourth season is the final outing of the show. The ratings did exceptionally well and all the more reason why fans were looking forward to the fifth season but much to their dismay, the giant streamer cancelled the show after the fourth season. The exact reason is not known nor did Netflix or showrunners provide any official statement but chances are that they chose to end it before the ratings dropped dramatically.
So, there you have it a fifth season of On My Block won’t be happening.
The plot of On My Block
Set in South Central Los Angeles, the story revolves around a group of intelligent students attempting to adapt to the challenges of growing up while encountering risky elements. The story is so well crafted and it’s no wonder why the viewers love binging on this incredible show. Although fans have been eagerly awaiting a new season, it seems like it’s next to impossible since Netflix decided to end it with the fourth season.
The cast of On My Block
If a fifth season happens, viewers can expect to the same characters that appeared in the previous seasons of On My Block including–
- Sierra Capri (as Monsé Finnie)
- Jason Genao (as Ruben “Ruby” Martinez Jr.)
- Brett Gray (as Jamal Turner)
- Diego Tinoco (as Cesar Diaz)
- Jessica Marie Garcia (as Jasmine Flores)
- Julio Macias (as Oscar “Spooky” Diaz)
- Peggy Blow (as Marisol Martinez ‘Abuelita’)
- Ronni Hawk (as Olivia)
- Jahking Guillory (as Latrelle)
- Emilio Rivera (as Chivo)
- Paula Garcés (as Geny Martinez)
- Eric Neil Gutierrez (as Ruben Martinez)
- Danny Ramirez (as Mario Martinez)
- Kylie Samaniego (as Luisa Martinez)
- Julian Lerma (as Luis Martinez)
- Reggie Austin (as Monty Finnie)
- Lisa Marcos (as Selena “Julia” Whitman)
- Eme Ikwuakor (as Dwayne Turner) Raushanah Simmons (as Mrs. Turner)
- Rob Murat (as Coach Ron)
- Angela Gibbs (as Rosé Westbrook)
- Shoshana Bush (as Amber)
- Ada Luz Pla (as Cuchillos)
- Mallory James Mahoney (as Ainsley Riches)
- Gilberto Ortiz (as Cuete)
- Troy Leigh-Anne Johnson (as Kendra)
- Ian Casselberry (as Ray)
- Nikki Rodriguez (as Vero)
- Andrea Cortés (as Isabel)
Release date of On My Block season 5
The first season of On My Block was released on March 16, 2018, with ten episodes. The second season was launched on March 29, 2019, with ten episodes. The third season premiered on March 11, 2020, with eight-episodes. The fourth and final season was aired on October 4, 2021, with ten episodes.
Coming back to the release date for the fifth season of the show, there won’t be a new season as the series was discontinued by Netflix. So as mentioned previously, the fourth was the last season but if ever a miracle happens and the streamer decides to renew the show for another season, fans can expect to see the new episodes by the end of this year or by early 2023. However, one should not have their hopes too high as the prospect of the show remains very much uncertain.
Although the show has ended, you can always go back to the older episodes and binge-watch all over again. All the episodes of the previous seasons of On My Block are available for streaming on Netflix.